PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Modding

Ryder24
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
So there's no way to make mods on ps3?

XboxRainbow
08-23-2012, 04:04 AM
From reading the site rules the "modding" applies to creating new playable content for the PC version (eg Maps). While altering the contents of the console games would be considered hacking by the site rules from my understanding. So a support system here for PS3 custom (user made) content no. But to answer the question which I think you're asking, yes I believe it's possible to create your own custom DD content for PS3. But from what I understand it is not allowed, sorry. I wish the console versions had as much versatility and freedom as the PC version does to allow this but unfortunately not yet.. and more than likely never will.

classic22
08-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Modding only exists on PC.

/closing before the topic is flamed.

Alhanalem
08-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Just to sate your curiosity, I'm going to offer a more detailed explanaiton.

Legitimate mod-making on the PS3 with the Unreal Engine 3 is *technically* possible, but it requires the developers to specifically support it (which in most cases requires licensing various codecs and technologies depending on what you want to support). Unreal Tournament 3 *DID* have cooking for PS3, enabling most (though not all) mods made for the PC version to work on the PS3. For some time however, Epic Games could not license Sony's proprietary ATRAC-3 audio codec, meaning that custom sounds could not be supported (as modders could not convert sounds to this format), so some things were not possible on the PS3 version. That being said, UT3 did create a precedent for console games to be able to have mod support (on the PS3- The Xbox version did not have mod support because Microsoft wouldn't allow it with their closed system)

In short, on a technical level, mod support on the PS3 is possible, but it is not supported in Dungeon Defenders. In order to really make it happen, the version of the game on each platform would have to be syncronized, which is not really possible due to how different the console and PC versions are- The specs required for the PC version now exceed those of the PS3 version and thus making them compatible is basically impossible.