Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: PC Versus Xbox 360 - A Comparison

  1. #31
    0 Not allowed!
    its more like, my m8 and i stomp a 2 v 4 game with 20+ kills and they cry hacks... but i get what ya mean =) (we were ranked in the top 100 2 man teams for halo 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by JDanford View Post
    But don't you oh so love getting stomped by 12 year olds followed shortly by excessive vulgarities? I sure do
    also guys, any pc sold in the last 3 years can play dd... that accounts for a lot more pcs out there that can play the game then xboxes... even the fraction that plays games is still more the the entire xbox community... add in gamers who make their own machines and there is a larger market for dd then any console =) plus this cloud support should keep most players payers >=)

  2. #32
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyStieglitz View Post
    + PC will have a mode for closed Cloud-save-only online play, as we'll also be doing for mobile at that time. This will essentially eliminate the feasibility of hacking (even if client-side hacks could still theoretically be possible, we can analyze and eliminate cloud save data at will upon reporting).

    + PC online does have integrated voice chat (GameSpy & Steam).
    Jeremy, you can do your cloud thing for the pc (which normally sits at home when there is wifi), BUT YOU CAN'T DO IT FOR MOBILE DEVICES!!! The name itself, 'mobile', suggests it! If this cloud thing is implemented on mobile devices, that would be a major pitfall!! I myself went to scotland and played dd the whole time locally! I couldn't tether anyways cuz I was in an area with no coverage! What about that, Jem? If you're on a bus, yes maybe you could play dd, but most people have a limited data plan (I'm guessing dd takes quite a lot of data already!). What about ipod touches? They don't even have a radio!! What about tablets, like the wifi ipad? All my friends have the wifi one. No one has the wifi 3g one! Trust me on this, it will be a major pitfall.

    Implement it on PC's, great! Just not on mobile devices.

    Having said that, you may think, 'people will hack the items on their mobile devices and transfer them to the pc version.' Well, your own post answered that. " we can analyze and eliminate cloud save data at will upon reporting." There we go, just add a report feature...it'll be great!

    You may also think, 'The savefile stored locally on phones/tablets can be used to play online.' Ok, yeah, a person on a xoom with modded gear joins an online game with other pcs. A pc player presses report, and also takes a screenshot. Sends of screenshot to Trendy, and trendy bans their gamespy account! Done n dusted! Infact, YOU COULD IMPLEMENT THIS RIGHT NOW, IN THE NEXT UPDATE!!!

    Think about it...

  3. #33
    0 Not allowed!
    @aced:

    Of course for mobile devices, not everyone will have access to data all the time, so I think a system of keeping files stored offline would be used primarily - perhaps with some sort of syncing to the cloud when possible (data connection becomes available)? Of course this would throw up some questions about data concurrency, etc., so we'll have to wait and see what the full plan is for the cloud sync with regards to mobile devices.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,223
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aced125 View Post
    Jeremy, you can do your cloud thing for the pc (which normally sits at home when there is wifi), BUT YOU CAN'T DO IT FOR MOBILE DEVICES!!! The name itself, 'mobile', suggests it! If this cloud thing is implemented on mobile devices, that would be a major pitfall!! I myself went to scotland and played dd the whole time locally! I couldn't tether anyways cuz I was in an area with no coverage! What about that, Jem? If you're on a bus, yes maybe you could play dd, but most people have a limited data plan (I'm guessing dd takes quite a lot of data already!). What about ipod touches? They don't even have a radio!! What about tablets, like the wifi ipad? All my friends have the wifi one. No one has the wifi 3g one! Trust me on this, it will be a major pitfall.

    Implement it on PC's, great! Just not on mobile devices.

    Having said that, you may think, 'people will hack the items on their mobile devices and transfer them to the pc version.' Well, your own post answered that. " we can analyze and eliminate cloud save data at will upon reporting." There we go, just add a report feature...it'll be great!

    You may also think, 'The savefile stored locally on phones/tablets can be used to play online.' Ok, yeah, a person on a xoom with modded gear joins an online game with other pcs. A pc player presses report, and also takes a screenshot. Sends of screenshot to Trendy, and trendy bans their gamespy account! Done n dusted! Infact, YOU COULD IMPLEMENT THIS RIGHT NOW, IN THE NEXT UPDATE!!!

    Think about it...
    Exactly what he said!
    [36] classic
    PSN | classic22us
    Steam | classic22

  5. #35
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Ro View Post
    *giggles to himself* While I admit I have a bit of a bias being a PC gamer for years now. But to be fair I'll keep it simple and base this solely off your example... (and throw in one more for good measure).

    Fortresscraft, at the last sales figure that I could find was at 153,843 sales. At what I understand it to be (about $3) that comes to $461,529 total sales. That was about a month ago, so lets be generous and give them some extra sells for what they could've done over the past month. Who knows, maybe they got a cool patch and doubled their sales!?

    So for Fortresscraft we're at $923,058 and 307,686 sales.

    Now lets look at Minecraft (the PC game Fortresscraft copied). To date, Minecraft has 2,433,799 sales. At $15 to $20 (depending on when you bought the game) that's anywhere from $48,675,980, to $36,506,985. But we'll just assume everyone bought the game when it was $15 a few months back and see where that leaves us:

    Xbox/Fortresscraft: 307,686 (sales), $923,058 (money)
    PC/Minecraft: 2,433,799 (sales), $36,506,985 (money)

    Now lets look at a fancy little platformer called Super Meat Boy.
    (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/01/su...s-total-sales/)

    Quote from wiki: "Sales have been strong, with the Xbox 360 version moving nearly 140,000 units by the end of 2010,[56] and with the combined Steam and Xbox 360 versions selling over 600,000 copies by April 2011, of which 400,000 were on Steam and the remainder on the Xbox."



    Come here to skip wall of text for the main point!



    It's simply a fact, based off the statistics of these two more or less cross platform indie games (yes I know Fortresscraft =/= Minecraft, but they're close enough), there are more PC gamers than 360. It all comes down to how it's marketed on both platforms. For all we know it could sale better on 360. But to say 360 sales will probably be more than PS3 and PC combined just makes you seem very ill informed of the facts of game sales numbers.

    Whats more likely would be PC > 360 + PS3 as far as sales go assuming they market well.
    Ehhhhhhh..... your example argument has some pretty serious flaws. You're not taking into account the most important factor of all when it comes to game sales on the PC. System Requirements

    If you're looking at games like Plants Vs. Zombies, Super Meat Boy, or Minecraft - as long as you've bought a PC within the last 10 years then the game will run just fine.

    Dungeon Defenders however uses the Unreal Engine 3. (and looks absolutely fantastic because of it I might add) Realize though that most people don't have a computer that is capable of playing it. Sure they can "get a cheap graphics card" - we all know how cheap and easy it is to get a gaming computer. However the simple fact remains that the number of people who have a console >>>>> the number of people who have a gaming computer.

    A better comparison would be for a game like Call of Duty Black Ops. It came out on both PC and Xbox 360 and requires a gamer pc.

  6. #36
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aabra View Post
    Ehhhhhhh..... your example argument has some pretty serious flaws. You're not taking into account the most important factor of all when it comes to game sales on the PC. System Requirements

    If you're looking at games like Plants Vs. Zombies, Super Meat Boy, or Minecraft - as long as you've bought a PC within the last 10 years then the game will run just fine.

    Dungeon Defenders however uses the Unreal Engine 3. (and looks absolutely fantastic because of it I might add) Realize though that most people don't have a computer that is capable of playing it. Sure they can "get a cheap graphics card" - we all know how cheap and easy it is to get a gaming computer. However the simple fact remains that the number of people who have a console >>>>> the number of people who have a gaming computer.

    A better comparison would be for a game like Call of Duty Black Ops. It came out on both PC and Xbox 360 and requires a gamer pc.
    I agree with Aabra, Chi-Ro had terrible examples. But I'll also state that if you guys can see into the future, there are some personal things that I would like to ask about.

  7. #37
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aced125 View Post
    Jeremy, you can do your cloud thing for the pc (which normally sits at home when there is wifi), BUT YOU CAN'T DO IT FOR MOBILE DEVICES!!! The name itself, 'mobile', suggests it! If this cloud thing is implemented on mobile devices, that would be a major pitfall!! I myself went to scotland and played dd the whole time locally! I couldn't tether anyways cuz I was in an area with no coverage! What about that, Jem? If you're on a bus, yes maybe you could play dd, but most people have a limited data plan (I'm guessing dd takes quite a lot of data already!). What about ipod touches? They don't even have a radio!! What about tablets, like the wifi ipad? All my friends have the wifi one. No one has the wifi 3g one! Trust me on this, it will be a major pitfall.

    Implement it on PC's, great! Just not on mobile devices.
    The addition of cloud at the moment is very PC focused and we completely understand your concerns. We are still hammering out the details of the cloud save service. So as of right now I don't have a firm answer for you as to how it will work with mobile. What I can say is we have discussed this issue and absolutely do not want to do something that will essentially screw over a large chunk of our user base. A lot more thought and work will be put into this before it is totally committed to mobile.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,223
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDanford View Post
    The addition of cloud at the moment is very PC focused and we completely understand your concerns. We are still hammering out the details of the cloud save service. So as of right now I don't have a firm answer for you as to how it will work with mobile. What I can say is we have discussed this issue and absolutely do not want to do something that will essentially screw over a large chunk of our user base. A lot more thought and work will be put into this before it is totally committed to mobile.
    What I don't understand is why you are going to make a mobile game not really that mobile? We have limited data plans in Australia, none of this unlimited stuff other countries have. If you move mobile saves to cloud then I will ditch the game.

    Why not just bring in a capping service in game ie if an item exceeds a pre-determined cap, it vanishes. For example, I have never seen a legit 1300+ Blazemourn. Meaning if the games file contains a 1300+ Blaze, that item gets deleted.

    Obviously I'm not a game programmer and have no idea how hard this would be to implement, but surely something like this can be done.

    The best thing about this game currently is being able to play wherever I like, including places that don't have wifi or 3G coverage.
    [36] classic
    PSN | classic22us
    Steam | classic22

  9. #39
    0 Not allowed!
    most pcs sold on the last 3-5 years can play this game directx 8 is quite old and moay integrated graphics cards can do at least 8 if not 9....

    beyond that you do know most pc users wont even play games but the portion that does still far exceedes xbox users... cod would be a good example but itd be better to compare a rpg then a fps... =p
    Quote Originally Posted by Aabra View Post
    Ehhhhhhh..... your example argument has some pretty serious flaws. You're not taking into account the most important factor of all when it comes to game sales on the PC. System Requirements

    If you're looking at games like Plants Vs. Zombies, Super Meat Boy, or Minecraft - as long as you've bought a PC within the last 10 years then the game will run just fine.

    Dungeon Defenders however uses the Unreal Engine 3. (and looks absolutely fantastic because of it I might add) Realize though that most people don't have a computer that is capable of playing it. Sure they can "get a cheap graphics card" - we all know how cheap and easy it is to get a gaming computer. However the simple fact remains that the number of people who have a console >>>>> the number of people who have a gaming computer.

    A better comparison would be for a game like Call of Duty Black Ops. It came out on both PC and Xbox 360 and requires a gamer pc.

  10. #40
    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    most pcs sold on the last 3-5 years can play this game directx 8 is quite old and moay integrated graphics cards can do at least 8 if not 9....

    beyond that you do know most pc users wont even play games but the portion that does still far exceedes xbox users... cod would be a good example but itd be better to compare a rpg then a fps... =p

    While technically speaking those integrated graphics cards "support" directx 8 or 9... and can "run" the games... you'll be getting average framerates lower than 15. The games simply aren't playable. The only games that run well are if you go way back and start loading up games like Half Life. (Not Half life 2.... the original) That will run well enough to play.

    Now admittedly DD shouldn't require as much power as say COD - I mean heck the thing runs on an iphone right? hehe I'm still not convinced it will run at respectable framerates with 95% of onboard graphics chips. At any rate - the most important thing here I think is that the game sells well on Xbox, PC, and PS3. I think it's safe to say we all want that right? Then when Trendy eventually releases the sales figures we can all point at each other and say I told you so. Xbox sold 10 more copies than PC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •