Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Confirmed ATI Radeon 4850 HD Black Screen Crash FIX

0 Not allowed!

Post Confirmed ATI Radeon 4850 HD Black Screen Crash FIX

I tried go back to the latest known perfectly working drives ever used on my ATI Radeon 4850 HD card; CCC 10.1Beta (64-Bit) and the latest known not-crippling Phys-X 9.09.0408. (Keep in mind i nuked EVERYTHING ATI and Nvidia related form my OS HDD, that including all leftovers in System32 and all registry files. I use a licensed program called Driver Cleaner.NET, there is a trial of it as well, so feel free using it yourself for the job, just remember to follow the instructions in the help file.)

This solved it for me, now MNC works, Dungeon Defenders works, Trine 2 works, everything basically. (did the testing in windowed mode and in lowest settings, but i played for over an hour and no crash whatsoever.)

I truly hope this fixes it for all with this series of cards black screen issues. (Considering iv had this for months now, so im happy to finally being able to enjoy the few unplayable games iv had.)

Link to Phys-X Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0408_whql.html

Link to ATI Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...?&lang=English

Link to Driver Cleaner.NET: http://www.drivercleaner.net/

I originally posted this in an old Ati black screen crash issue thread, (found here: http://forums.trendyent.com/showthre...ied-everything ) but felt like making a new thread as well to ensure it becomes seen for all unlucky who been suffering by this issue for so long.

Would appreciated replies knowing if it works or not for you else with this kind of issue.

0 Not allowed!

Black Screen Crash Fix

Hey I'm also having problems with the Radeon 4850. I followed your advice on installing the drivers you linked (except I installed the 32-bit version). Just to make sure, I uninstalled the previous drivers first, then installed the 32-bit version of the one you linked.

This appeared to solve the black screen issue. However I now just get a striped screen (I've had a similar problem with old cards when they are overheating, could it be an overheat problem?).

Any help or advice you could offer would really be appreciated, I've had problems with this card since I bought it and am contemplating just saving up for a new one, although I feel that would be a waste of this one :/

Thanks!

planty182.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by planty182 View Post
    Hey I'm also having problems with the Radeon 4850. I followed your advice on installing the drivers you linked (except I installed the 32-bit version). Just to make sure, I uninstalled the previous drivers first, then installed the 32-bit version of the one you linked.

This appeared to solve the black screen issue. However I now just get a striped screen (I've had a similar problem with old cards when they are overheating, could it be an overheat problem?).

Any help or advice you could offer would really be appreciated, I've had problems with this card since I bought it and am contemplating just saving up for a new one, although I feel that would be a waste of this one :/

Thanks!

planty182.
    ATI cards sadly are designed to run quite hot, so may be overheating issiue, or the drives make it run to hot. (due to ATI loves to give unmentioned 'performance boosts' to cards in some updates causing them ether overheat or break at times...) The reason i chose the beta drives was due to they where specificly made to fix the gray/black screen crashes ATI card suffered from before it, and then later again beyond the beta... (Tried ccc 10.5, as broken as latest drives with unreal games using phys-x.)

Best advice i can give is to have patience and try to go a version ahead or back form the beta, and see if you still got the issue (and be sure to check if you still got ether black screen crash or the stripes one afterwards, so you know if you made progression or not.), and if solved, stick with them, write down the driver version somewhere safe so you will know or back the installer up! (Due to its a 99% chance it will be the ONLY ATI drives that isn't crippled in a way for your card...)

This kind of stuff truly shows how much ATI (now amd) seem to care about keeping stability between their updates... (But sadly sort of have to stick with ATI due to my linux side.) Their cards can run great for years with good drives, but with just any random ones... well... they hardly run anything at all... not even flash properly. (Explains the 80% of the reason why flash crashes your videocard drives so often in firefox.)

Anyhow, dont hesitate googling for recommended drivers that is around the beta ones (very few versions higher or lower etc.) and hope for the best, hopefully you will find the hidden gem that you can stick with forever until you do your next proper hardware upgrade.

Hope it was to any help.

0 Not allowed!
    I saw your post in the other thread. I rolled back to these drivers, though instead of using Driver Cleaner I used a free software called Driver Sweeper.

I've had the problem for months with several different games. Thank you! Without your help I wouldn't have been able to play Dungeon Defenders at all.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by harpake View Post
    I saw your post in the other thread. I rolled back to these drivers, though instead of using Driver Cleaner I used a free software called Driver Sweeper.

I've had the problem for months with several different games. Thank you! Without your help I wouldn't have been able to play Dungeon Defenders at all.
    Glad to hear it helped, hope more people who roll the same card as us and got the same issues finds this fix as well in this rather crowded sub-forum.