Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Events - What Do You Think Went Wrong?

0 Not allowed!

The Events - What Do You Think Went Wrong?

Seems like a lot of people have a lot of whinging to do, so let's consolidate it and maybe try to do SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE with it, shall we?

I'll start off with a list of my issues, along with some suggestions that I think may help should the Trendyfolk decide to do anything else for us ungrateful sots. Please add your own, and assuming this thread a) continues to be comprehensible and b) doesn't turn into a big foaming pile of nerd rage, I'll try to update my OP with yours as well.

----------------------

Complaint:

1) Manpower. You seem to not has it. Mostly this results in a disparity in the ratio of people who want in to people who get in.

Suggestions:

a) Deputize people out of your playerbase. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but if there's -anything- we can do to help I know a lot of us would jump at the chance. Even if you just entrust one player to dish out rewards to names messaged to him as people get shuffled through your event, this would at least speed up the ****ing around in the tavern after each round.

b) Organization. Set yourself up to succeed, and you will. The opposite is also true. Have players sign up in advance, perhaps even with approximate times they will be available, so that you can schedule out your day and maybe have a second or third person on during the "peak." Allow players to adjust their "active" times as they will to encourage estimation on the conservative side and avoid potential discontent and chaos. All of this could be handled through a simple web-form that could probably be written by a script kiddie in an afternoon.

c) A better lottery system. Break up the day into hour-long chunks, randomly assign ranks to the list of people who want in, and start inviting those people in that order. TrendyEnt1 invites #s 1,2,3. 5 minutes pass, 1,3 are in, 2 is a no show: TrendyEnt1 invites 4; TrendyEnt2 invites 2,5,6 to a separate game. 5 minutes pass, 4,5,6 all show to their own games, 2 is still mia, TrendyEnt2 invites 7. 5 minutes pass, 7 shows, TrendyEnt1 is running with 1,3,4, TrendyEnt2 is running with 5,6,7, 2 is off wanking. Next round 2 gets the first invite and similarly gets passed down along the line of TrendyEnt# - if he joins, great; if not, he goes into the hat for the next block of time. If they get all the way to 12 during the first block then that's great, but everyone 13+ gets thrown into a hat, along with the new contestants, for the second block of time.

d) Cut down on the number of participants. You could post the rewards ahead of time so that players who are only interested in specific items don't join random events they are uninterested in. Or, you could do away with the rewards altogether.
    http://forums.trendyent.com/showthre...l=1#post291522
    http://forums.trendyent.com/showthre...l=1#post291832

----------------------

Complaint:

2) Apparently spamming your message box resulted in a higher success rate.

Suggestions:

a) Once again, organization ahead of time. I think this speaks for itself, but you should really consider finding a better way for us to sign up.

----------------------

Complaint:

3) The event weapons are cool and all, but they outclass EVERYTHING else by an unfair margin. When you take into consideration that a lot of people wasted a lot of time trying to get one, only to be unsuccessful due to issues on your end, this isn't terribly fair.

Suggestions:

a) I'm personally hoping that whenever the patch comes out it will include weapons of 45-60^ (NOT superloot) along with a more challenging insane mode. This would allow all players the opportunity to get equivalent gear and turn these event weapons into more of a head start.

b) Consider balancing issues ahead of time. I know not to expect 100% clairvoyance, but Trendy seems to have a history of sucking at this. Even if my wildest dreams (ie: suggestion #a) come true, we still have this in the mean time:
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
    Weapon is insane.. Just ran MM with some friends, we had 1 squire, 1 hero boost monk with T-26, 1 Mage, & my huntress w/ soda's.. Boss was down in two openings, no more than 20secs, SHOULD'VE TIMED IT, was insane!
    ----------------------

Complaint:

Players in other time zones have difficulty putting aside time to join events that are maintained by people on EST.

Suggestions:

?

----------------------

Complaint:

More people should have been informed.

Suggestions:

?

----------------------

Post your comments here. I personally did not get into any of the 3 events I tried, so for those of you that did how could you see them being improved or maybe just streamlined? And don't say "everyone get mics" or I'm probably going to ignore your opinion entirely.

edit: Could we please minimize the discussion of whether these complaints and suggestions are valid? I don't care if you think they're valid; these ideas are not for you. I care if Hitmon thinks they're valid, and since he's likely under a NDA that prevents him from giving feedback any further discussion along these lines is pointless.

0 Not allowed!
    My comments have gone directly to TE.

We have to remember that the events were TE's way to "compensate" us for the wait. I think they did more then enough, but as this game gets bigger, sure more manpower will be required.
    [36] classic
    PSN | classic22us
    Steam | classic22

0 Not allowed!
    True, but who's to say it won't happen again in the future? Not to mention this beats seeing 80420473023 other threads about it, this one may stay positive, and it makes me feel special. If my thread doesn't catch on then it doesn't :)

edit: Also, not all of us have Trendy's ear. And if you would like to maybe CC those comments here, I'm sure it would help to start things off on the right foot?

edit^2: And, as far as compensation goes, the majority of the playerbase didn't even know these events existed, and even a smaller percentage actually got any sort of compensation. In that light, I would call this "compensation" a complete and utter failure on Trendy's part. Although I appreciate the effort (I'm sure a lot of individual's time and stress went into this) it simply didn't have the desired effect, unless you count misdirection.

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciated the events even if i only got into one of them. Only bothered with the last event because it wasnt as ridiculous a time for people outside of americas time zone which i'm truly greatly to Hitmonchan for.

The last event weps are slightly OT but alot of us have completed this game in November so it's better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't have the desired effect because some people are "entitled". I missed some events. So what? I would love for everyone to get in, but it's simply not possible.

The portion of the players that don't visit the forum aren't missing out imo. They are none the wiser. In a perfect world I would give all players an event item in my own time.

Trendy can only do so much. My comments will stay with TE for the time being.

That being said;

I do like the idea of this thread I want to see the feedback that others have.

Edit: just re-read your entire post again. Some very good feedback there. My comments are very similar.
    [36] classic
    PSN | classic22us
    Steam | classic22

0 Not allowed!
    Viva - myself living in EST, it's easy to forget that there are other time zones out there, but it doesn't make you any less deserving of a chance to participate. It seems like our friends across the pond and elsewhere get the short end of the stick for most games :( Where do you live and what hours of the most recent event were you able to participate?

0 Not allowed!
    The regular events that started at 6pm EST started at 11 PM Gmt so that's a big part of the EU. So it was from 11 pm until 3 am. The last event started at 5 Pm GMt though so it was'nt to unreasonable all thanks to Hitmonchan for starting it early.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolhell View Post
    a) Deputize people out of your playerbase. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but if there's -anything- we can do to help I know a lot of us would jump at the chance. Even if you just entrust one player to dish out rewards to names messaged to him as people get shuffled through your event, this would at least speed up the ****ing around in the tavern after each round.
    No, just no. Considering what the previous events were, they were modded lobbies being hosted on developer consoles. Those said consoles aren't exactly available to the public and are individually approved by Sony and Microsoft so if one does get leaked they can plug it quickly. For the playerbase to be involved the event has to be something that an average person can setup, and using the playerbase has a risk that the said deputized person may run off with them.

Complaint:

2) Apparently spamming your message box resulted in a higher success rate.
    We really do not know what system they used in choosing people, so its almost a waste of breath complaining about something that may or may not be true. When I got in the last one, Hitmonchan could not find a 4th person to start our game so he asked us to invite a friend. When I did, Hitmonchan looked at the tag and saw he was actually queued for an invite 3 games after mine.

Complaint:

3) The event weapons are cool and all, but they outclass EVERYTHING else by an unfair margin. When you take into consideration that a lot of people wasted a lot of time trying to get one, only to be unsuccessful due to issues on your end, this isn't terribly fair.
    1%-4% of the world has them, and these were advertised as rare, unique weapons which they are. This ties back into the topic that people think they're entitled to them.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheszNuts View Post
    No, just no. Considering what the previous events were, they were modded lobbies being hosted on developer consoles. Those said consoles aren't exactly available to the public and are individually approved by Sony and Microsoft so if one does get leaked they can plug it quickly. For the playerbase to be involved the event has to be something that an average person can setup, and using the playerbase has a risk that the said deputized person may run off with them.
    Exactly right.
    The players have no legal way for hosting these events on consumer consoles.

We really do not know what system they used in choosing people, so its almost a waste of breath complaining about something that may or may not be true. When I got in the last one, Hitmonchan could not find a 4th person to start our game so he asked us to invite a friend. When I did, Hitmonchan looked at the tag and saw he was actually queued for an invite 3 games after mine.
    Exactly right again.

1%-4% of the world has them, and these were advertised as rare, unique weapons which they are. This ties back into the topic that people think they're entitled to them.
    Even though that is true they are still incredibly overpowered from everything else.
    This does tie in with the Super Loot and whether we will get it or not.

The fact these console event items, like the last two, have 40^ and 60^ could indicate we may be getting increased loot ups.
    Being rare and powerful does not mean overpowered like they are. They could have easily been 35^ or just 40^ and still be way more strong than normal drops.

0 Not allowed!
    the only reason that the events are digested is because of the rewards became too powerful. By a spread of words and people showing off in games, a lot more audience became interested, thus you have the current situation. And of course, if they make the reward any less powerful, the complaints will be that it is not good enough to be an item to compensate for your lost of content versus the PC version.

However I find this complaint unreasonable. The devs who hosted events already had a long day, and are still dedicating time for us. We are talking about a regular 8 hours shift, plus an additional 4-5 hours volunteering which they could have spend time for themselves.

Regarding their queuing system, you have no proof on how it work, and you just took the words of mouth from other players. I am pretty sure they have each player's entry stored somewhere to keep track of the time and name, and they might be able to log if you are online or not at the moment from their server(since they use their own server as a platform for online play). As I was at the event yestoday, Hitmonchan was dealing with a 4th player who had lag issues and unable to enter the game; then our 3rd player suggested that he had someone who he wanted to invite(which also had been waiting for a while); Hitmonchan immediately rejected the idea, saying that he had a long list of people to go through. So if you don't receive an invite, then its probably because you are offline at that time.

Please, just close this thread. I find it pretty pointless to read through, as the ones who deserved our gratitude did not get any, and instead, they are getting insults which they deserve not.