Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darkness Traps

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco18s View Post
    DU has been reduced to 5. It's still not enough IMO, rather than changing targets I'd like to see them be unable to attack while effected.
    Honestly, unless spike barricades saw a du decrease, that is still not going to change anything. The most it's doing is freeing up DU for a magic barricade, which is sort of pointless if you're using darkness traps and spike barricades.

0 Not allowed!
    Indeed.

0 Not allowed!
    Think of it this way, magic blockades can cause grouping of mobs which will then make it esier to break, this way elment is removed and they keep going on their way... INTO THE GAS TRAPS.. TO BE KILLED BY HARPOONS!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm surprised you're all missing the biggest reason why a darkness trap is more effective than a magical barricade. Granted, I am still debating internal on the DU costs for it. However, a darkness trap can strip the immunities right when the enemies get in range of your fireballs, or other defenses.

This means that normally fire immune Ogre that gets to pound on your barricades, can die before they get to the barricades. In addition, those evil Poison Immune Dark Elf Warriors that rush through your ensnare aura will have their immunity stripped before getting to the ensnare, meaning they can't ignore your barricades now like they do before.

I personally am looking forward to this change, and will be curious to see just how well it will interact with alternative setups. Another thing to consider, now that traps can strip immunities imagine a Darkness > Inferno > Gas > Prox > Spike trap setup. This means first they get stripped of their immunity, now they're taking full damage from inferno, in addition none of the enemies can ignore the gas trap choking effect (except ogres), and anything that gets by the inferno damage will end up taking full damage for not just the Prox but the Spike trap as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Why are people even complaining about the 5 DU being steep? That's one less electric Aura in exchange for more offense/defense (depending on how you look at it.) I'm sure people can incorporate one less electric aura into their builds...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reikou View Post
    I'm surprised you're all missing the biggest reason why a darkness trap is more effective than a magical barricade. Granted, I am still debating internal on the DU costs for it. However, a darkness trap can strip the immunities right when the enemies get in range of your fireballs, or other defenses.

This means that normally fire immune Ogre that gets to pound on your barricades, can die before they get to the barricades. In addition, those evil Poison Immune Dark Elf Warriors that rush through your ensnare aura will have their immunity stripped before getting to the ensnare, meaning they can't ignore your barricades now like they do before.

I personally am looking forward to this change, and will be curious to see just how well it will interact with alternative setups. Another thing to consider, now that traps can strip immunities imagine a Darkness > Inferno > Gas > Prox > Spike trap setup. This means first they get stripped of their immunity, now they're taking full damage from inferno, in addition none of the enemies can ignore the gas trap choking effect (except ogres), and anything that gets by the inferno damage will end up taking full damage for not just the Prox but the Spike trap as well.
    I actually brought up that they wouldn't have to hit the barricades, but it's not an efficient use of DU. It's really expensive and has a very low amount of charges. Its only real use is to delay a lane as enrage auras are as well. If it had a higher amount of charges and costed at least 4 du and spikes lost one du, I would definitely switch over to that. But as it stands right now, it's really high maintenance and inefficient. You're taking up DU that can be used across the entire map, effectively lowering your chances of being able to handle every lane at once without a high amount of tower stats.

Yes they're useful, but they still in the end hurt you for using them in the long run.

0 Not allowed!
    Darkness trap + spikeys should make mobs attempt to run past spikey (for melee enemies) but keep on getting hit? AND loss of immunity. Sounds good.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Droyur View Post
    Darkness trap + spikeys should make mobs attempt to run past spikey (for melee enemies) but keep on getting hit? AND loss of immunity. Sounds good.
    immunity doesn't matter for spikes.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reikou View Post
    Except that darkness traps don't work on ogres at the moment (not the change target at least).

I couldn't see the darkness trap be useful at all unless it also removes mob elemental affinity.

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't used darkness in a long time, but I do believe that this change is actually a benefit to the darkness because currently, it just is not worth it. You can blow them up faster then waiting for them to move on to another target.

Stripping immunities is particularly valuable. But for 5 defense units it might be too expensive unless it effects more then one target at a time. If it does effect everything in range, then 5 points will be a pretty good value.

Otherwise it would need some pretty big additional changes. Much higher trap count, or better reset, or some other effect, or some damage.