Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I Blame The System for Freeze Issues

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle45302 View Post
    I have played this game for over a year now. I first found it on my tablet last May. It never froze on my Acer Iconia. When they announced they were coming to PC, I bought a copy. However, never liking pc games because of keyboard controls I decided to go ahead and buy a PS3. As has been stated before, this game never froze except for high levels of survival / strategy until the DLC's started coming out. Paste or No Paste, why wouldn't it freeze preDLC if it is the paste? There is like 10,000 monsters to kill on wave 17 in forges or alchemical and it handles that no problem. However, it freezes on moraggo, MM, or Aquanos? I find that hard to believe that some "tooth" paste crap is suddenly to blame.
    Because he believes that DD is the only game that affects the system, works the system, or causes thermal paste problems. And apparently that doesn't apply to just the DLC.

I, for one, don't think he's correct. A single piece of software meant to run like the rest of the games shouldn't melt hardware. Especially if it's just a console, lol.

The only way I can see him being correct is the TIME issue. Although people plays lots of hours on lots of games, DD REQUIRES these hours at a time, so THAT maybe taxing the hardware. But even then, you bring up a point; doesn't explain the DLC.

As with the character swap glitch, I imagine TE probably took the easy way out on some things in coding and now it's affecting everyone.

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I think it's a mixture of both. Perhaps not directly due to thermal paste but I think they just send us the exact same PC version and I don't know who does Q/A (Quality Assurance)for them, but jeez they're not doing an exemplary job of it. It's the fact that the hardware from a PC and a console differ vastly in quality/capacity and obviously the inferior hardware will not be able to run at the superior hardware's rate. It's like fitting a square piece through a triangular hole of the same size.

Perhaps there is a way to skip Q/A and Trendy relies on speed in order to attempt to win the Console's satisfaction and just hopes things will work. Personally, I know that most of us wanted this DL/c sooner rather than later and that's what they gave us. It's just broken, simply put. They will fix it and who knows how long it will take, but they will do it. That's the Trendy we've had so far.

Just as a side note, I have read absolutely no computer manuals or dissected a computer so I'm under completely assumption that PC hardware is superior to Console.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma SPNKr View Post
    Because he believes that DD is the only game that affects the system, works the system, or causes thermal paste problems. And apparently that doesn't apply to just the DLC.

I, for one, don't think he's correct. A single piece of software meant to run like the rest of the games shouldn't melt hardware. Especially if it's just a console, lol.

The only way I can see him being correct is the TIME issue. Although people plays lots of hours on lots of games, DD REQUIRES these hours at a time, so THAT maybe taxing the hardware. But even then, you bring up a point; doesn't explain the DLC.

As with the character swap glitch, I imagine TE probably took the easy way out on some things in coding and now it's affecting everyone.
    As for time, before DD came out, I would spend 5-6 hours straight playing Black Ops among other games like Need For Speed and Mortal Kombat.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reganoskee View Post

Just as a side note, I have read absolutely no computer manuals or dissected a computer so I'm under completely assumption that PC hardware is superior to Console.
    I major in Computer Science so I have a little credibility, although I'm sure there are others who know more.

There is a big difference between what computers are nowadays (and DD's min requirements) and the consoles we have. However game settings can be adjusted to better adjust to the 1/4 th RAM that consoles have compared to the min. Requirements.

Things like enemy counts, number of drops allowed on the floor, graphics, projectile effects, partical shadowing, etc. If RAM was really the problem, there would of been issues way before the DLCs.

The original game worked flawlessly for everyone, to my knowledge. Can't be anything other than coding errors that these new maps stumble upon. With the exception of Morrago, neither of the new maps are much larger than Glitterhelm and that doesn't freeze either.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle45302 View Post
    As for time, before DD came out, I would spend 5-6 hours straight playing Black Ops among other games like Need For Speed and Mortal Kombat.
    Lol, I feel you bro. I used to play L4D all day err day. Don't think it's the time played, but if the Heat Sink and/or paste has ANYTHIG to do with it it's the amount of time/over work of the console. But downloaded games run much easier than those on CD's, so that's evidence against any paste being the culprit.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma SPNKr View Post
    I major in Computer Science so I have a little credibility, although I'm sure there are others who know more
    I am currently majoring in the Computer Science field as well!

To clarify; I am not saying DD is the only game that affects the console. The stock thermal paste will dry out on it's own just over time. My girlfriend's sister got her 40GB PS3 at the same time my girlfriend, but she never played it (due to owning a 360). It sat in her closet for a few years unopened.

Now her parents are using it to stream Netflix and the fans are running in their last gear after 10 minutes of it being on.
    Currently I have plans to replace it's thermal paste as well since her parents cannot stand the loud fans anymore.

Anyways, I do believe that DD is horribly unoptimized for consoles. People can argue that a game with better graphics and higher resolutions are more taxing to a system, but that doesn't make them right. If DD has numerous and unnecessary scripts running in the background of normal game play, it can be more taxing to a system (specifically the processor) than a game with higher resolutions and textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizz-Man88 View Post
    I've been meaning to replace the paste for awhile now, but it wasnt until i read this post that i dug up some motivation to do it, that and i was practicing for the event yesterday and was freezing when returning to the tavern from monsterfest on hard, ugh. heres what mine looked like

ill post back if i notice any decrease in the frequency of the freezes
    I also thought that was a Google Maps picture at first!
    I would gladly like the input after you are finished. You can clearly see the horrid excuse for the stock paste. Yours actually looks like it had less on it than mine did.

0 Not allowed!

New thermal paste.

damn i have a 80gb phat ps3 bough it in the late 2008, opened it last week MAJOR Dust balls and crap.
    then i noticed that it was completely dried out. ordered arctic MX-4, didnt really know to get arctic silver 5 or mx-4, applied it yesterday havent played, will let you know how it turns out. oh btw DD never freezed on me before.

oh can you guys with EXP tell me which is the best way to apply thermal paste? spread all over with a card or a small dot?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGICLEAN View Post
    damn i have a 80gb phat ps3 bough it in the late 2008, opened it last week MAJOR Dust balls and crap.
    then i noticed that it was completely dried out. ordered arctic MX-4, didnt really know to get arctic silver 5 or mx-4, applied it yesterday havent played, will let you know how it turns out. oh btw DD never freezed on me before.

oh can you guys with EXP tell me which is the best way to apply thermal paste? spread all over with a card or a small dot?
    I do believe silicone based paste are better, but I'm not entirely sure atm.
    I was reading about some debates about it a while ago.

As for the best way to apply the thermal paste; pressure over spread.
    Spreading it yourself will create tiny air pockets that can trap heat. The best way is to apply a small amount in the center and let the pressure from applying the heat sink to spread it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyashii View Post
    I do believe silicone based paste are better, but I'm not entirely sure atm.
    I was reading about some debates about it a while ago.

As for the best way to apply the thermal paste; pressure over spread.
    Spreading it yourself will create tiny air pockets that can trap heat. The best way is to apply a small amount in the center and let the pressure from applying the heat sink to spread it.

Okay also the only reason i got the mx-4 was because it does not need any break in time compared the silver 5 which needs 200hrs

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGICLEAN View Post
    Okay also the only reason i got the mx-4 was because it does not need any break in time compared the silver 5 which needs 200hrs
    Iyashii is right, put one maybe two DOTS of paste. Then just apply pressure, moving the chip slightly back and forth to spread for you.

And I think I may have made a new forum friend @ Iyashii.

And I conpletely agree that it's horribly optimized (if you even want to use the word in this case) for consoles. I'm sure they have unneeded coding and scripts, and probably some lingering code. keep in mind they are a new small company; it was bound to happen. However I feel that supports my belief that it's the issue with the developers and their games, not the paste that's drying on everyone's boards.

If it was specifically the pastes' fault, there would be an uproar outside TE forums about it.

Btw, early xbox's had a problem with it's thermal paste too. Dunno if anyone had one but those who did know about it. Led to a lot Red Rings... At least PS doesn't get those, lol.