Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A question to the mods. How do you plan to fix the biggest issues from the last game?

5 Not allowed!

A question to the Devs. How do you plan to fix the biggest issues from the last game?

All the other people who post here are as excited as I, but if the game still has persistent issues from the last game it will largely ruin the game. The issues I would love to hear answered are below.

How is hacking of items, gear and stats going to be overcome in DD2. This one could really use some specifics like there is no actual files put on the computer for gear. In DD1 it was pathetically easy to the point where a friend showed me just how easy it was. Also hell I bet half the gear I bought was actually hacked since if you really look at the RNG and how **** loot was and how rare it was to actually get anything good it's hard to believe I bought so many good items.

The next question goes right into the last issue which is the RNG(random number generator). In DD1 it was painfully obvious as you guys updated that the RNG was extremely broken due to how rare it was to find ANY gear of use after a while and was extremely grindy to find even crap gear. Will this be fixed? Are you going to actually stress test the gear drop system and log all drops to see into the millions the average gear?

The main thing which was not all exactly your fault, but it was the biggest flaw of the game. With the megalomania that was the gear system Of DD1 are you going to actually plan out ahead for up to the level cap and beyond?

The last big gear issue was definately the loot system in regards to items disappearing, garbage look and surpassing the loot cap at the speed of light on 4 person in higher levels. It was impossible to find better loot that that which you already had from a quick glance since 99% of the time the green dot, blue dot, yellow dot or whatever dot you were seeing on the minimap or showing on the screen was likely just junk that the system thought was good. Are you going to fix the method in which the loot drops to say custom loot filters or loot collection thing?

Adding a collection secondary(or third) pet that can collect gear near you for you and transport it a chest or something so everyone can see would be a good way to fix some of it and another would be letting every single item stay on the map. I know that having every single item could tax worse computers so I think something like junk gear is collected to a chest and good gear that meets parameters set by the person who is the host and set by players could be useful. The issue is that the game IS all about the loot and as such it needs to be supported fully unless the standardization you mentioned pretty much removed one of the fun aspects of DD which was figuring out what gear you did want.

The last questions I have are about the levels, modding and save games. Will there still be modding in DD2 eg custom maps and modes? If TF2 is anything to go by THIS IS the only way DD2 can truly try and stand out from the crowd without having to spend millions of dollars to develop an ever growing amount of needed content. You say the MOBA will launch with one map(idk if that is beta only) but if you meant release fully with one map the game is not going to have much of a chance at all.

The other question is likely one of the biggest which is the maps. Will you be charging for maps? Will any of the maps be restricted to only players who bought them if you do charge? If the answer is yes to either then you are going to have a hard time trying to keep players playing. When I want to play a map I am likely going to play said map and if another friend can't play then I'm not likely to play with that other person. It pretty much segregates what friends can play with each other and that what can kill any game.

Another game that could have likely thrived due to modding would have been sanctum, but it floundered and was lacking in maps, features and that most games were very long(we played 5 hrs before for one game and still lost near the end).
    One thing DD1 did great was variable times for various maps, but when you got more invested in the game it required even more time to actually accomplish anything which turned off a lot people. Are you going to solve the time issue?
    If there is anything you do now I suggest coming up with a way to save long games. I would try and have it send position data of where everything is and send that to the hive server then allow them to dl the last version, but require either the same people to rejoin or having the towers replaced with the exact same ones of another player automatically in the same position. It would be like " You had A class, B class, C class and D class in the last game. We notice that 2 of you are back, but Class A and D are missing. Please select 2 characters from your current game to fill that role.". If you still allow active swapping then also allow them to use their other characters and have a confirm on the other persons screen.
    In Very long games I would lose players near the end and if the last person you really needed is now gone or they were the host it would become nearly impossible to finish some games causing you to lose the work you did as a whole due to the fact you can't get to the last waves or last wave in a lot of cases. As someone who played 1000 hrs worth of DD this issue happened quite often and often caused me to have to exclude people from playing with me due to them not having enough time.
    Last edited by Infernotez; 03-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.

4 Not allowed!
    Very good and important post, and we (the players) can't possibly stress this enough - regardless how tempting it may be to charge for maps - don't! Playing together with friends is a CORE element in this game. I would never have played 800 hours in DD1 without my friends, in fact I would have quit after 2 hours. If we can't beat the maps together because not everyone has bought all the maps, we're simply going to play some other game together.

Heroes are fine. Accessories are fine. Skins are fine. Maps are not.

3 Not allowed!
    Well, the DD Facebook said this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...l_comments=212

Dungeon Defenders: Concerned about cheating? So were we. We're moving everything server-side for Dungeon Defenders II, which means less hacking. (Theoretically, it means no hacking, but we'll stick with the safer less hacking for now.)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MikeSharpeWriter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyness View Post
    Very good and important post, and we (the players) can't possibly stress this enough - regardless how tempting it may be to charge for maps - don't! Playing together with friends is a CORE element in this game. I would never have played 800 hours in DD1 without my friends, in fact I would have quit after 2 hours. If we can't beat the maps together because not everyone has bought all the maps, we're simply going to play some other game together.

Ya I want to point out that I did buy every DLC, but I took my biggest break after they announced shards DLC would not let me play with friends. I have maybe one person on my list at the time who would have bought it with me out of like 20 or so. I had to meet people in the game to actually play what I wanted too which you know was not horrible by any means, but it's nice to have friends with you when you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNutter View Post
    That is a big different for this type of game. I remember the war z devs talking about hacking too and look how that ended up. If they moved enough server side it might at least stock all gear hacking and then it's only client side hacking which is much easier to detect and if trendy does it correctly much easier for us to report. I will take this with a grain of salt obviously, but it seems they are at least trying to not gloss over one of the bigger issues in the game.
    Last edited by Infernotez; 03-20-2013 at 12:01 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    This seems like a new game to me. From what I see it doesn't look like dd1 but if it has those problems then oh well its free to play now. So you don't have to spend money but you spend time. This game just has a different look.

4 Not allowed!
    The RNG is probably the biggest thing I would like to see fixed. Spending countless hours trying to get one good piece of gear is really ridiculous.
    Steam ID: gotrunks712

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gotrunks712 View Post
    The RNG is probably the biggest thing I would like to see fixed. Spending countless hours trying to get one good piece of gear is really ridiculous.
    Hacking, RNG, security, and connection drop issues are definitely on the top of their list I would assume.

Trendy were already aware of the RNG problems, but it was too late to fix and balance the RNG as the game was too far into it's development. It would've affected the overall balance of the current game.

Excited for Playverse!
    Nobody wants to do survival and have the connection drop for a split second and have hours of precious time wasted.
    Steam: zero_break
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zero_Break/

PSN: Zero_BladeZ

Long time player of DD console with over 1000 hours. I know what I'm doing.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyness View Post

Definitely. Selling cosmetics, and shortcuts to unlocking heroes is perfectly fine. Maps, however, are definitely not. Especially in a game like DD.

As in a Loot based RPG Hack n Slash Tower Defense, the best loot comes from maps with the best loot multipliers and such. And if the latest map has the highest multipliers, then selling it would be one of the greatest F2P sins: Selling Power. Additionally, As you stated, it would fragment the community. Really bad to do.

5 Not allowed!
    Just so everyone's clear, moderators can't answer questions about the game. We can cite the FAQ and any other information available from the official website, but that's it. Please do not ask moderators about DD2 as they can not help you.

We're here to facilitate a better forum/community experience.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I mentioned this before DD2 was officially announced in the DD1 patch forums, after they said the need help beta testing a game. All Beta testers have signed a NDA (gag order), and if they want to share any info they can only share what is public knowledge already.
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MikeSharpeWriter